The Remarkable Career of Lee Yoo-Mi: From Humble Beginnings to Global Netflix Icon
Lee Yoo-Mi, a name now synonymous with global stardom, has carved a niche for herself in the entertainment industry. From humble beginnings to becoming “Netflix’s daughter,” her journey is nothing short of inspirational.
Early Career and Breakthrough
Yoo-Mi’s cinematic journey commenced in 2010 with a role in the action-packed thriller, The Yellow Sea. Over the next decade, she subtly graced the cinematic canvas with nuanced performances in both films and TV series.
However, 2020 marked a pivotal chapter in her career when she signed with Varo Entertainment. This partnership paved the way for the role of a lifetime.
The Squid Game Phenomenon
2021 witnessed Lee Yoo-mi catapulting to international stardom with her evocative portrayal of Ji-Yeong (Number 240) in the global Netflix phenomenon, Squid Game.
This role not only skyrocketed her Instagram followers from 40,000 to over 6.5 million but also earned her the prestigious Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series.
A Tapestry of Roles
Lee Yoo-mi’s artistic palette is rich and varied. Transitioning from the empathetic Ji-Yeong, she embraced the dark shades of Lee Na-Yeon in 2022’s All Of Us Are Dead, showcasing her chameleon-like ability to adapt to diverse characters.
Her acting career includes a plethora of notable works. From the suspenseful Superpower Girl and the heartwarming Just Dance to the time-bending 365: Repeat The Year and the poignant Young Adult Matters. She is also the lead in Netflix’s much-anticipated STRONG GIRL NAM-SOON.
The Person Beyond the Performer
Despite the acclaim, Lee Yoo-mi remains grounded. Not letting her roles and perceived fame from big Netflix productions get to her, she continued to hustle after wrapping up Squid Game and All Of Us Are Dead, taking up part-time jobs, including food delivery.
However, the success of these shows, ranking as Netflix’s most-watched non-English series, transformed her life. With over 7 million Instagram followers and being dubbed “Netflix’s daughter” in Korea, her path to stardom was sealed.
From her debut in 2010 to becoming a global sensation, Lee Yoo-mi’s journey is a beacon of perseverance and talent. As she continues to captivate audiences worldwide, her story serves as an inspiration for aspiring artists everywhere.
Name: Lee Yoomi (이유미)
Birthday: July 18, 1994
Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Height: 162 cm (5’4″)
Weight: 42 kg (92 lbs)
Blood Type: O
- Her MBTI is INFJ.
- Born in Jeonju, North Jeolla, South Korea.
- She has reportedly spent the majority of her life in the United States.
- Family: Parents and a younger sister.
- Her pets’ Instagram account; @l.y.m_262.
- An animal lover, she has three puppies and three cats.
- She loves mint chocolate.
- She made her acting debut in 2009 in the drama ‘Assorted Gems’ as an extra.
- Yoomi rose to fame for her role in ‘Squid Game‘.
- She’s friends with fellow actress Jung Hoyeon.
- Education: Suwon Sohwa Elementary School, Seoho Middle School, Daejin University.
- Hobbies: Arranging furniture, making bracelets, drawing, and making dog outfits.
- Favourite food: Malatang, Rosé tteokbokki, Vietnamese rice noodles, Tom yam goong.
- Rain Angel | TBA – Yeaji
- Hostage: Missing Celebrity | 2021 – Ban Soyeon
- Young Adult Matters | 2021 – Yoon Sejin
- Drama Stage: Everyone Is There | tvN, 2020 – Lee Gyujin
- Park Hwa Young | 2018 – Sejin
- The Whispering | 2018 – Byun Jieun
- Outdoor Begins | 2018 – Mari
- Never Ever Rush | 2018 – Hana
- The Heartbeat Operator | 2017 – Hye Eun
- Superpower Girl | 2017 – Maeng Juri
- Will You Be There? | 2016 – Yeonah
- Like a French Film | 2016 – N/A
- The Avian Kind | 2015 – Girl
- Rough Play | 2013 – Advertisement Girl
- Hwayi: A Monster Boy | 2013 – Yookyung’s friend
- The Russian Novel | 2013 – Yoomi
- Grape Candy | 2012 – Young Sunjoo
- The Yellow Sea | 2010 – Kim Taewoon’s daughter
- Strong Girl Nam-Soon | 2023 – Kang Namsoon
- Mental Coach Jegal Gil | tvN, 2022 – Cha Gaeul
- All of Us Are Dead | Netflix, 2022 – Lee Nayeon
- Squid Game | Netflix, 2021 – Jiyeong (Player No. 240)
- 365: Repeat the Year | MBC, 2020 – Kim Serin
- Doctor John | SBS, 2019 – Na Kyungah
- It’s Okay To Be Sensitive | Naver TV, 2018 – Yeji
- Afternoon in a Small City | Naver TV, 2018 – Shin Nara
- Just Dance | KBS2, 2018 – Kim Doyeon
- Voice 2 | OCN, 2018 – Hwang Heejoo (Cameo)
- Welcome to Waikiki | JTBC, 2018 – Jiyoung
- Children of the 20th Century | MBC, 2017 – Mi Dal / Jo Minhyun
- Cheo Yong 2 | OCN, 2015 – Song Dajung (Cameo)
- Quiz from God 3 | OCN, 2012 – Young Choi Jungmi
- Buil Film Awards – Best New Actress for Young Adult Matters
- Cine21 Awards – Best New Actress for Young Adult Matters and Hostage: Missing Celebrity
- Korean Film Writers Association Awards – Best New Actress for Young Adult Matters and Hostage: Missing Celebrity
- APAN Star Awards – Excellence Award, Actress in an OTT Drama for Squid Game and All of Us Are Dead
- Baeksang Arts Awards – Best New Actress – Film for Young Adult Matters
- Gold Derby Awards – Best Drama Guest Actress for Squid Game
- Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards – Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series for Squid Game