Seunghan, a member of the K-pop group RIIZE, has once again found himself at the centre of controversy, leading to a suspension from group activities by SM Entertainment. This decision follows a series of incidents involving the idol’s personal life that have sparked significant public backlash.
Suspension from RIIZE Activities
On November 22, SM Entertainment announced the indefinite suspension of Seunghan from RIIZE’s activities. The agency’s statement highlighted Seunghan’s acknowledgement of the disappointment and confusion caused to his team, members, and fans. Emphasizing his sense of responsibility, Seunghan himself chose to step back from the group, a decision respected and enacted by the agency.
The Controversy Unfolds
The latest controversy engulfing Seunghan emerged from a leaked livestream video from his private social media account. In the video, Seunghan was seen making disparaging remarks about another idol and referring to a female idol in a manner suggesting personal closeness. Another video leak added to the controversy, showing him smoking in a public place.
A History of Controversies
This is not Seunghan’s first brush with controversy. Previously, in August, he became embroiled in a scandal when viral pre-debut photos surfaced, showing him with a suspected girlfriend at a hotel. Despite the uproar, Seunghan continued with group activities after issuing a public apology.
The Handwritten Apology
In response to the recent backlash, Seunghan released another handwritten apology on November 22. However, this gesture failed to appease netizens, who criticized the apology’s presentation and sincerity. Comments ranged from critiques of his handwriting to suggestions that he should have sought assistance in drafting a more heartfelt and neatly written apology.
“Hello, this is Seunghan.
First of all, I want to sincerely apologize. I am well aware that my past thoughtless actions are causing a lot of harm to many people now. I truly regret and reflect on my behaviour.
I want to express my deepest apologies to the fans who have supported me and the members of RIIZE.
I deeply regret that I have caused so much damage during a time when I should be working harder and striving for self-improvement. I will genuinely reflect on my actions and make a sincere effort to become a better person.
Once again, I want to apologize to the members, fans, and staff for any inconvenience I have caused.“
Koreans Netizens react
The public has reacted to Seunghan’s apology with mixed feelings; some understand his actions, while others demand stricter consequences. Questions arise about the permanence of his suspension and the possibility of his eventual return to RIIZE.
- Even when you write an apology letter in school you make sure to write clearly and neatly. It’s surprising to see criticism about Seunghan’s apology being insincere, considering people often put more effort into writing apologies, even for something as simple as a note to their mom or an entry in their diary.
- It’s a fact that it’s written poorly though.
- It’s not easy to get criticized for a written apology but looking at his apology…
- Aside from his handwriting, if he wrote it crooked like that, he should’ve written it on another paper with lines. And he should’ve asked staff to help him write the letter. I feel like he would have earned some sympathy if he had written the letter properly and sincerely. Thinking about the entire team getting entangled with controversy, and the company – considering all of this, I don’t think it’s excessive that he stops activities indefinitely.
- I understand he did wrong but aside from that I hope they catch the leaker and punish them.
- If he suspends activities indefinitely does that mean he’s going to return to the group when things calm down? He should just drop from the group.
Seunghan’s latest controversy and subsequent apology highlight the intense scrutiny faced by idols in the K-pop industry. As he steps back from RIIZE, the future of his career and the impact on the group remain uncertain.
Drop us a comment below and let us know what you think.